Friday 21 January 2011

Analysis of Music Magazine



This is my music magazine cover.

My house style is very similar to what originally inspired me, NYLON. It consists of bright colours; mainly blue, pink, black and orange. I have used similar colours throughout the rest of magazine which also helps link everything together.
I have also used many plugs as well as the usual codes and conventions used in magazines on my cover. The colours and the main cover image stand out on the cover of my magazine which grabs the attention of a potential buyer. The main cover image features a young teenage girl; which would appeal to my demographic of 16-19 year olds. The pose in which the model is standing gives the impression that she is confident and independent which was one the message's I wanted to achieve in my article, this also helps link my cover to my article used in my double page spreads.
The masthead was inspired by Q magazine's mast head, my magazine is indented to be like Q in terms of the style of the magazine, so to have my masthead similar to Q's masthead it will help set the tone of my magazine as it will be one of the features a reader will look at on the cover.
'Shawnee raises the bar' was included on the cover because I wanted readers to think how she raised the bar. Having this question on the cover of the magazine will hopefully want the reader to read more into the story and buy the magazine.



This is my Contents page of my music magazine.

I have only used one image in my contents page. The image used is very different to the others used throughout my magazine; this image is in black and white where as the others are a lot brighter and subtle. The reasoning behind this is that I didn’t want there to be the same photograph on every page I wanted to use something that kept everything fresh. Also the image also stands out against the colours used on the page and vice versa.
The house style also carries on throughout the magazine, which helps link the magazine together and in a way makes the magazine feel related to each other as they all share similar aspects in terms of the house style used in them.
I used three of columns in the layout of my contents page which is effective and helps the page look professional. The masthead also reappears in the contents page and also states what the name of the magazine stands for.


 




These are my double page spreads. The reason why there are two double page spreads is because my article was too big for just one so I had to create another to fit the rest of the article on.

Again there is a clear house style that is still continued throughout these pages. However I have toned down the brightness of the colours used on these two pages, this is because I wanted most of the attention to be focused on the article and I felt that having these bright coloured letters would distract the reader from the article.

The article layout is set up in three columns; the first part of the article is located on the left hand side of the page whereas the second part is located on the right hand side of the page with an additional photograph on the opposite side of the page. In the second part of the article I have also broken up the article with a quote which is the same colour as one of the coloured letters which will help it stand out from the rest of the article. The name of the article is at the top of the page, the name of the article is inspired by lyrics from The Pretty Reckless song ‘Zombie’.

The photographs used take up most of the page. The first photograph used is linked very well to the article as it is inspired by a quote used in the article, ‘WTF! I hate being labelled!’. The model is seen holding a label with the phrase ‘WTF’ written on it. The second photograph is not really linked to the article purse but it is was just a chance to show a darker side to her I think.  

The style and language used in the article as well as the formal layout would attract a lot more of a mature intellectual audience which was one of the main aims I wanted to achieve with these double page spreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment